Where you can study
International students are not New Zealand citizens or residents.
Specialise in Business Sustainability for your Master of Business Administration at Massey
The Master of Business Administration (Business Sustainability) specialisation is about building businesses that last and organisations that are resilient in the face of a fast changing world.
Whether motivated by changing customer demands, stakeholder pressure, environmental concern, regulation or profit, organisations are dedicating significant resources towards creating sustainable enterprises.
This MBA specialisation enables you to build management competence and governance structures that facilitate the identification and implementation of innovative practices, products and services that are sustainable and resilient.
This qualification will expose you to businesses and experts within New Zealand and overseas who have had successes and overcome challenges in building sustainable enterprises. Both the strategic and operational aspects of developing and leveraging innovative sustainable products and services while mitigating risk are addressed in this specialisation.
World-class online learning
You'll have access to world-class online technology 24/7 and engaging learning methods. This includes online classes and team-meetings, along with forums and group-work. This allows you to network with and learn directly from your peers and faculty.
Find out more on the Master of Business Administration page.
The QS World University Ranking by Subject ranks Massey in the top 350 universities worldwide in this subject area. Shanghai Ranking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2022 ranks Massey in the top 201-300 universities globally.
Our AMBA (Association of MBAs) accreditation encourages our programme to ensure students have:
- A positive impact on themselves, organisations, and society for the benefit of all stakeholders
- Understand and respond through sound business practices to the challenges facing the planet
- Lead themselves and others in the achievement of organisational goals within the context of sustainable development, contributing effectively to a diverse and inclusive team environment
- Think critically and make decisions with integrity based on complex information, understanding the overall impact of managerial decision-making
- Understand organisations and their stakeholders, and have an awareness of public policy and the regulatory environment
- Integrate functional knowledge and apply strategic management skills at a senior level in changing business environments
- Operate effectively and respectfully in cross-cultural settings
- Enhance their careers and commitment to lifelong learning
Related qualification: EMBA
If you have 7+ years full-time work experience (with three of those in management) and you are looking for executive face-to-face learning over 10 weekends in less than two years, consider our Executive MBA programme.
New Zealand is a great place to study and live. Massey University’s reputation is supported by our international rankings, accreditations and associations. We are rated five star plus by the QS World University Rankings.
In the Massey MBA we keep classes to small sizes, and our MBA teaching faculty have extensive international and local experiences. Our staff are very approachable and care about your career aspirations.
As an international student, there are immigration entry requirements that will apply to you. We recommend that you apply at least three months before your anticipated start date so that your application can be processed in time. The Massey MBA programmes are the only ones in New Zealand with a Licensed Immigration Adviser on staff, so that you can get the most up-to-date information about your student visa and subsequent opportunities for work visa and residence.
A Master of Business Administration in Business Sustainability is a good fit if you:
If you study full-time, you’ll take 180 credits over a period of 12 months.
This is a parts-based qualification. For progression to Part Two you must have achieved a B- grade average across the courses completed in Part One.
To complete the Business Sustainability specialisation you must pass 60 credits in Business Sustainability which includes two courses (15 credits each) plus the Action Learning Project (30 credits).
To understand what you need to study and must complete to graduate read the official rules and regulations for this qualification.
You should read these together with all other relevant Statutes and Regulations of the University including the General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates.
For returning students, there may be changes to the majors and minors available and the courses you need to take. Go to the section called ‘Transitional Provisions’ in the Regulations to find out more.
In some cases the qualification or specialisation you enrolled in may be no longer be taking new enrolments, so may not appear on these web pages. To find information on the regulations for these qualifications go to the Massey University Calendar.
Please contact us through the Get advice button on this page if you have any questions.
Courses you can enrol in
Course planning key
- Courses that need to be completed before moving onto a course at the next level. For example, a lot of 200-level courses have 100-level prerequisite courses.
- Courses that must be completed at the same time as another course are known as corequisite courses.
- Some courses are restricted against each other because their content is similar. This means you can only choose one of the offered courses to study and credit to your qualification.
Part One Subject courses
Course code: 115784 Balancing Innovation and Risk Management credits 15
An applied and experiential study of the principles and practices that enable leaders to achieve the balance of innovation and risk management that enables resilient, sustainable businesses.View full course details
Course code: 115792 Business Sustainability credits 15
This course examines business practices that make organisations sustainable and resilient, with a particular focus on how to balance continuous innovation with good governance and risk management.View full course details
Part Two Subject course
Course code: 115812 Action Learning Project credits 30
Supervised team-based project focused on deliverable improvement of practices in an existing business or development of a new business opportunity, drawing on knowledge from multiple business disciplines.View full course details
Admission to Massey
All students must meet university entrance requirements to be admitted to the University.
This is a selected entry qualification. This means there are a number of extra requirements you must meet.
To enter the Master of Business Administration you will:
- have been awarded or qualified for a relevant bachelor’s degree, having achieved at least a B- grade average in the highest level courses, or equivalent
- have completed at least three years of relevant postgraduate practical work experience
- been selected into the qualification on the basis of selection process which may include a written application, references and practical exercises.
Application closing date
There are three intakes.
- First intake: Applications for the first intake close on 20 February 2023 for domestic students and on 30 January 2023 for international students.
- Second intake: Applications for the second intake close on 19 June 2023 for domestic students and on 29 May 2023 for international students.
- Third intake: Applications for the third intake close on 16 October 2023 for domestic students and on 25 September 2023 for international students.
Documents you need to provide
You need to supply with your application the following documentation:
- verified transcripts of all previous university and/or professional qualifications
- a full CV showing at least three years work experience
- an application statement covering supplied questions (video or in writing)
- a passport-sized photo for identification purposes.
Questions to address in your application statement (video or written):
- Compared with other choices you considered for your studies, what made you select Massey?
- Why have you chosen to do an MBA at this stage in your career?
- How will you draw on your unique skills and experiences to contribute to your cohort’s MBA experience?
- There will be group work during your studies. Tell us about the ways you have managed to perform in groups previously.
- The MBA will require substantial work in class and out of class. In the past, how have you managed your time to be effective?
- What are your career plans following your MBA graduation and how will the MBA help you achieve them?
The work experience requirement ensures that you are able to contribute effectively and participate from a position of experience and knowledge. This means that when you have less than the required 3 years’ work experience, we are unlikely to consider you for this MBA.
English language requirements
To study this qualification you must meet Massey University's English language standards.
Fees and scholarships
Master of Business Administration tuition fees
The domestic MBA online tuition fee for 2023 the estimated cost is approximately NZ$45,000 with completion within two years.
The onshore full-time international tuition fee for 2023 the estimated cost is approximately NZ$54,700 with completion within one year.
The above do not include non-tuition fees and living costs. International students also need look at the international student insurance fees tab.
Please note that the total fees for the qualification are indicative only, as course fees can increase each year.
The fees include ebooks and study materials.
Scholarships and award opportunities
- New Zealand Institute of Management Foundation Scholarship
- Massey university International Postgraduate Excellence Scholarship
- Find more scholarships and awards
Student loans (StudyLink) and Fees Free scheme
Domestic students may be eligible for a student loan to help towards paying your tuition fees and non tuition fees.
If you have studied fewer than 60 credits previously, the New Zealand Government offers fees-free tertiary study for eligible domestic students. Find out more about the scheme and your eligibility on the Fees Free website. To use the site's eligibility checking tool you will need your National Student Number.
Current and returning Massey students can find their National Student Number in the student portal.
This information is for estimation purposes only. Actual fees payable will be finalised on confirmation of enrolment. Unless otherwise stated, all fees shown are quoted in New Zealand dollars and include Goods and Services Tax, if any. Before relying on any information on these pages you should also read the University's Disclaimer Notice.
Careers and job opportunities
No matter in which industry you have worked and which prior qualification you hold, the Massey Master of Business Administration can help you progress into leadership and management roles quickly, and in many sectors, whether in private business, government or non-profit entities.
As a practically trained, globally competent MBA graduate, you are considered a generalist manager and can position yourself for leadership roles across the board in New Zealand or overseas.
The MBA is specifically designed for emerging managers and leaders who want to broaden their career opportunities by combining a specialist undergraduate degree with a broad and widely applicable MBA degree. With its strong practical focus, the Massey MBA builds on your practical work experience and adds new relevant learnings you can instantly apply at work. This will be a tremendous advantage when you apply for management and leadership positions.
The Massey “Career Accelerator”, exclusively offered to MBA and EMBA students and alumni, will prepare you for identifying the best next career move, excelling in your job interviews - and then moving into exciting new roles.
Massey Career Centre
Massey Career Centre is here to help you build the skills and knowledge you’ll need in your career. You can access our services online or in person, both while you study and after you graduate.
MBA alumni network
After you graduate from the MBA, you can access our MBA alumni network for your professional networking. It also offers opportunities to pursue more learning which will assist you with remaining current as a manager and leader.
Accreditations and rankings
Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
Massey Business School is rated in the top 5% of global business colleges by AACSB International.
QS Ranking - Business Management Studies
Massey University is ranked by QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) as one of the top 350 universities for business and management.
ShanghaiRanking – Business Administration
Massey University is ranked #1 in New Zealand for business administration by ShanghaiRanking.
This international magazine for executives ranked Massey's EMBA in its top MBA qualifications for 2023.
Related study options
Digital Transformation – Master of Business Administration
With the Master of Business Administration (Digital Transformation), you’ll develop leading-edge business skills that are closely connected to business practice. You are then competent to help businesses advance to a digitally-focused environment.
Global Business – Master of Business Administration
Develop valuable business skills, closely connected to practice. With the Master of Business
Administration MBA (Global Business), you will gain management competence to work in firms and organizations that are active globally as part of an international supply chain or those that recruit staff from overseas.
Without Specialisation – Master of Business Administration
The Massey University Master of Business Administration (MBA) gives you the flexibility to design your studies to perfectly fit your interests.
Useful planning information
Key information for students
Compare qualifications and academic information across different New Zealand institutions. Learn more on careers.govt.nz