Support services for survivors , He āwhina mō ngā pārurenga me ngā mōrehu o te taitōkai me te hawene

If you or someone you know has experienced sexual harm, there are free confidential support services you can talk to.

If you have experienced sexual harm, you may want to talk to a trained professional about your experience, how you are feeling, and your options for reporting and support. You can do this confidentially through the following services.

Massey support services

Sexual harm can impact your ability to focus, attend class, and your motivation to study. There are a range of support services available within Massey to help you.

Student care team

The student care team can provide confidential advice and information about reporting options and procedures. Email student care on

Student health and counselling services

Students can access general practice medical services and free confidential counselling support on campus.

Find more about the student health

Learn about counselling service

Student advocacy service

The student advocacy service in the Students' Association is independent from Massey. Student advocates can help you understand your options, rights and responsibilities, and help raise an issue or make a complaint.

Find out more about the student advocacy service.

Academic support

We can support you to make sure there is limited impact on your study and academic results. You don't need to tell your lecturers or tutors what has happened for us to help you.

Some of the things we can help you with include:

  • giving you extra time to complete your work
  • adjusting your grades
  • special exam considerations
  • support to access lecture material.

Email the Student Care team to have a confidential conversation about your academic needs on

International student support

International students have the same rights, and can get the same support, as domestic students.

Visitors to New Zealand are protected by New Zealand laws. In New Zealand the laws relating to sexual harm apply to everybody, no matter how long they have been here. 

Get support from our International Student Support Team.

External support services

Auckland services 

HELP Auckland — support for sexual abuse survivors. You can talk to them 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Call 0800 623 1700

HELP Auckland website

Manawatū services, Palmerston North

ARCS Manawatū – Abuse and Rape Crisis Support.

Call +64 6 356 5868

ARCS Manawatū website

Wellington services

Wellington HELP – support for anyone who has encountered sexual abuse or assault no matter their age, gender or sexual orientation.

Call +64 4 801 6655 and push '0' at the menu

Wellington HELP website

Wellington Rape Crisis – providing support to women and gender diverse survivors of sexual violence.

Call +64 4 801 8973

Wellington Rape Crisis website

ACC's Find Support

ACC's Find Support programme helps you get ACC-funded support following sexual abuse or assault, in your time, on your terms. Or you can make direct contact with ACC's Sensitive Claims Unit.

Go to the Find Support website

Safe to Talk sexual harm helpline

Call 0800 044 334

This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

This free service connects you to a trained specialist who can provide support and information about medical, emotional and behavioural issues related to sexual harm. They can speak over 40 different languages — ask for an interpreter when you call them.

Safe to Talk provides:

  • advice from a trained specialist at any time, day or night, seven days a week
  • answers to questions about sexual harm
  • referral to specialists in your area
  • information for family and friends wanting to help someone.

Go to the Safe to Talk website

Lifeline helpline

Free, confidential support, including suicide prevention support, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Call 0800 543 354 or text 'help' to 4357

Go to the Lifeline website

Need to Talk helpline

You can call or text this helpline free any time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Get support from a trained counsellor.

Call or text 1737

Feeling unsafe?

If you feel unsafe, you can contact the following services.

New Zealand Police

If you are concerned for your immediate safety or the immediate safety of someone else you should contact the Police. 

Call the Police on 111

Campus security

Campus Security maintains a 24-hour presence on campus to make sure you are safe and secure. They patrol all campuses, responding to emergency situations and coordinating First Aid responses.

Call Campus Security on 0800 627 750

Massey accommodation

If you are living in Massey Student Accommodation and want to talk to someone about the wellbeing, safety and academic support you can receive from the hall staff, contact your Hall Duty Manager or a Residential Assistant.

Go to Massey Accommodation

Related content

Understanding sexual harm & consent

Sexual harm can be physical, verbal, visual or digital, such as emails or text messages. Consent for sexual activity must be freely and actively given.

Reporting sexual harm

You can make a disclosure or a formal complaint about an experience of sexual harm, as part of Massey's reporting process. You can also report the behaviour to the police.

Independent support and advocacy services

Get free and confidential support with academic complaints or concerns, financial difficulties and tenancy issues.