Reporting sexual harm , Te pūrongo i ngā mahi taitōkai

You can make a disclosure or a formal complaint about an experience of sexual harm, as part of Massey's reporting process. You can also report the behaviour to the police.

If you experienced or witnessed sexual harm, you can decide if you want to report it or not, either informally or formally.

All victims and survivors of sexual harm have the right to be in control of decisions affecting them. You can choose to get counselling and medical support, and to involve the Police or another external agency. 

The Student Care team can provide confidential advice and information about reporting options and procedures. Email the Student Care team on

Your Student Advocates can also help with advice. To talk to them get in touch with your Student Association


Everything you tell us will be kept confidential. It will not be shared with anyone else without your knowledge and consent.


Making a disclosure of sexual harm is different from making a formal report. This is an opportunity to tell a trained person what has happened and to discuss what you can do about it, without having to make a formal complaint. You can make a formal report as well, once you are aware of the supports, resources and implications.

You can disclose your experience to a range of support staff at Massey, and you should start by contacting the Student Care Team or Student Counselling including our trained Wellbeing Advisors who are part of the Student Care team, or and the Student Advocates in your Student Association.

To talk to a Wellbeing Advisor in the Student Care team, email

Formal reporting

You can formally report sexual harm or concerning sexual behaviour from a Massey student or staff member through our official complaints process. Massey will investigate all official complaints, and may take further action.

Our support with making a complaint page has more information on the complaints process.
An official complaint must be in writing. If you would like help navigating the process of making a complaint, fill out this confidential complaint process advice form

Or, you can email your formal complaint directly to

Your complaint should specify in detail:

  • the particular incident or incidents you wish to complain about, including the person your complaint is about
  • when the incident(s) occurred
  • the particular behaviour that you consider sexually harmful
  • whether there was a direct witness to the incident(s), who they are, and whether they have agreed to be contacted to provide further information, if required
  • who else (if anyone) you have spoken to about the incident
  • whether you have, or are intending, to make a complaint to the Police, or to other external agency
  • what action you would like Massey to take.

Your complaint will be referred to the appropriate team at Massey. For example, if the complaint is about behaviour by a staff member, then it may be referred to Human Resources.

Our response to your complaint will be guided by either the Student Disciplinary Regulations or Staff Code of Conduct. Further investigation and action may then be taken.

During this process you will be provided wellbeing and academic support if you need it.

Reporting behaviour you have seen

You can report sexually harmful behaviour that you have witnessed or know about, even if you haven't experienced it directly yourself.

Follow the procedures outlined above, or contact the Harassment Resolution Team or email the Student Care team for guidance and advice on

Related content

Understanding sexual harm & consent

Sexual harm can be physical, verbal, visual or digital, such as emails or text messages. Consent for sexual activity must be freely and actively given.

Independent support and advocacy services

Get free and confidential support with academic complaints or concerns, financial difficulties and tenancy issues.

Counselling services

You can get counselling support if you need help to work through and understand your problems.