On this page
- Check what type of online assessment you're doing
- Find out what to expect in Stream
- Learn to use Remote Proctor Now (RPNow)
- Find a place to sit your exams
- Make sure you have the right equipment
- Find out what materials you're allowed to use
- Know where to get study tips, guidance and support
- Technical troubleshooting
Online exams make the exam process simple and fair for all our students. They're just as secure and easy to sit as in-person exams – but if you haven't done one before, you need to do some extra preparation ahead of time.
Check what type of online assessment you're doing
There are three types of online assessment: Online Supervised Exams (OSEs), Time Constrained Assessments (TCAs) and Other Asessment (OA).
Online Supervised Exams:
- start and finish at a set date and time
- are accessed in Stream
- are supervised electronically.
Time Constrained Assessments:
- have a start time and date, and have to be completed in a set amount of time
- have a time limit once you begin – find this on your exam timetable in the student portal
- are accessed in Stream
- aren't supervised.
- are scheduled on your exam timetable in the student portal
- are administered through the college, so you should contact your course coordinator if you have any questions or require assistance.
Find out what to expect in Stream
Use our support information in Stream to learn what it's like to do an assessment online.
- information about how online assessments work
- practice tests you can try as many times as you like
- answers to common questions about online assessments.
Open the Online Supervised Exam Student Support Stream site (access only available to students sitting an OSE this semester)
Visit the Time Constrained Assessment Student Support Stream site
Learn to use Remote Proctor Now (RPNow)
RPNow is the exam supervision software Massey uses. Your computer's webcam and microphone are used to monitor your exam.
You will need to download RPNow before each exam that you sit. It's a good idea to download RPNow before your first exam and test it to make sure it works on your computer. The Online Supervised Exam support Stream site contains step-by-step guides to downloading and using the software.
Find a place to sit your exams
You can sit your online exams where you choose. Choose a place that:
- is quiet
- is somewhere you won't be interrupted
- has a secure, stable internet connection
- has a power socket so you can plug your computer in
- doesn't contain any materials that aren't allowed in the exam rules.
You might need to book a room in your local library or on a Massey campus if you don't have somewhere suitable at home. Do this early, so you're prepared for the day.
Auckland campus library room booking
Manawatū campus (Palmerston North) library room booking
Wellington campus library room booking
Make sure you have the right equipment
Ideally, you should do your exams on a Windows computer or a Mac. Make sure you use a device that:
- can access Stream
- has a keyboard so you can write your answers easily
- has a webcam and microphone
- has a reliable broadband internet connection.
RPNow will not work on phones, tablets or touch screens.
Contact Assessment Services at email@example.com if you have any questions about sitting exams online.
Find out what materials you're allowed to use
If you see the letters OB next to your exam title on your timetable, your exam is open book.
This means you can use certain reference materials in the exam, like notes or books. Contact your course coordinator to find out what you're allowed to bring with you.
Check what materials you're allowed in your exam
Visit OWLL to find out how to prepare for open book exams
Know where to get study tips, guidance and support
We have resources and services to help you prepare for exams, and can give you support if you're feeling anxious.
Find study advice in OWLL
The Online Writing and Learning Link (OWLL) contains lots of advice to help you prepare for tests and exams, and strategies that will help you on the day. There’s information about:
- studying for tests and exams
- types of exam question
- organising your time in an exam.
See exam advice and tips on OWLL
Book an appointment with a Learning Advisor
A Learning Advisor can give you advice about preparing for exams, either one-on-one or in a small group.
Find out more about Learning Advisors and other study support services
Get support for exam anxiety
We know exams can be stressful. You can get support to help you fight exam stress and anxiety from the Student Health and Counselling Services at our Auckland and Manawatū campuses.
Make an appointment to see a counsellor, or email to ask a question, discuss a worry or get advice.
Student Health and Counselling service (Auckland) email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Health and Counselling service (Manawatū) email: email@example.com
Student Health and Counselling service (Wellington) email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re a distance student, contact the Student Health and Counselling service at the Massey campus nearest you.
Contact us if you have technical issues in an online exam. You may be able to get extra time to finish your exam.
We are open from Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. If you call outside these times during an exam period your call will be redirected to Assessment Services between the hours of 7am to 10pm. Or email exams@massey and this will be dealt with on the next working day.
Internet problems in Online Supervised Exams
If your internet stops working while you're doing an Online Supervised Exam:
- RPNow will keep recording until it reconnects
- you can keep working on the exam question you've started
- you won't be able to start a new question until the internet reconnects.
If there's a power cut during your exam, restart RPNow when the power reconnects.
You can get support to help fix any problems with RPNow all day, every day. Click the 'Contact Support' button in RPNow.
See our guide to Stream. If you have issues with Stream please contact us.