Get ready for study abroad or exchange at Massey , Whakarite kia ako ki tāwāhi kia whakawhiti rānei ki Te Kunenga ki Pūrehuroa

From getting a visa to booking your travel, there's a lot to organise before you come to Massey on study abroad or exchange. Use this checklist to make sure you are ready.

This checklist covers everything you need to do to get ready to go on study abroad or exchange, after you've applied to Massey and accepted your Offer of Place.

If you're looking for the application form or information about how to apply, read our guide to applying for study abroad or exchange.

How to apply for study abroad or exchange

Enrol in courses

After you accept your Offer of Place and pay your fees, you need to sign up for courses.

Understanding prerequisites at Massey

A prerequisite is a course that needs to be completed before you move on to another. To enrol in some 200-level (second-year undergraduate) courses, you have to have completed certain 100-level (first-year undergraduate) prerequisites.

You can find out if a course has prerequisites by checking the course page.

Enrolling in courses without prerequisites

If a course has no prerequisites, follow these steps to enrol.


When you accept your Offer of Place, you'll receive an email to your personal account with your Student ID number.


Log into the student portal using this number and the password you set up when you applied to Massey.


Open the Qualifications and Courses tab.


Under My study, follow a link called Enrol in courses to choose the courses you want to enrol in.

Search for courses to study at Massey

Log in to the student portal

Enrolling in courses with prerequisites

Because you're coming to Massey from another university, you won't have completed the prerequisites for any of our courses. If you want to take a course with prerequisites, you need to apply for Special Permission. You can do this in the student portal.

Learn more about getting Special Permission

Enrolling in courses in the College of Creative Arts

We need to see a portfolio of your work if you want to enrol in any course at the 200-level or higher in the College of Creative Arts. A 200-level course is a second-year undergraduate course.

Learn how to check course levels

Your portfolio should be about 10 pages long and show that you have the skills and knowledge for the courses you want to take. Send it to us as early as you can – we can’t enrol you in any arts courses until we’ve received it.

Sending your portfolio

Send us your portfolio by email. You can send us a ZIP file or a link to a cloud storage service.


Apply for a visa

You will need a visa if:

  • you're planning to study at Massey for more than three months
  • you're not a citizen or resident of New Zealand Aotearoa.

Types of visa

The type of visa you should apply for depends on what kind of student you are. Apply for an:

  • Exchange Student Visa, if you're coming to Massey on exchange
  • Fee Paying Student Visa, if you're coming to Massey via study abroad.

Exchange Student Visa at Immigration New Zealand

Fee Paying Student Visa at Immigration New Zealand

How to apply for a visa

You are responsible for getting your own visa, though we have some resources to help you.

Read our guide to student visas and how to apply

Sort out your insurance

It's the law in New Zealand that all international students need to have travel and medical insurance.

As an international student at Massey, you’re automatically enrolled in Studentsafe insurance. You can pay for this when you accept your Offer of Place – you don't need to do anything else, unless you want to choose a different insurance policy.

Learn about Studentsafe insurance, what it costs, and how to use a different policy

Book your housing

Living in Massey University accommodation while you're here is the best way to meet other students and throw yourself into life on your campus. There are catered and self-catered options, so you can choose what's best for you. You can also live in a homestay as part of a family.

Some accommodation options fill up fast – so book yours as soon as you can.

Find accommodation at your campus

Plan to arrive at your campus in time for orientation

Orientation is when we welcome you to Massey, and make sure you've got everything you need to make the most of your time here. Orientation is compulsory — this means you must attend it.

Orientation is a chance to:

  • learn your way around your campus and city
  • find out what support you can get while you're here
  • get important information about life in New Zealand Aotearoa
  • meet other students from around the world.

We'll email you information about orientation after you accept your Offer of Place. It’s a good idea to arrive on your campus a few days before the programme starts, so you’ve got time to settle in.

Contact us for help and support

We want you to have a great experience in New Zealand Aotearoa. Our International Mobility team is here to answer your questions and help you plan your time at Massey – just send us an email.


Our International Student Care team can give you plenty of help and information – from advice about travelling to New Zealand to welcome events where you can meet other international students.

Learn more about the International Student Care team

International Mobility Team


0800 MASSEY (0800 627 739)

Phone from outside NZ

Physical and courier address

Office of Global Engagement
SST Level 6, Room 6.16
Massey University, Tennent Drive
Palmerston North 4474
New Zealand

Postal address

Office of Global Engagement (PN721)
Massey University
Private Bag 11 222
Palmerston North 4442
New Zealand

Related content

Living in New Zealand

Learn about coming to New Zealand, life while you’re studying here and your options after you finish.