Languages and linguistics
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Chinese)
- Bachelor of Arts (Japanese)
- Bachelor of Arts (Linguistics)
- Bachelor of Arts (Spanish)
- Bachelor of Communication
- Bachelor of Communication (Linguistics)
- Bachelor of Speech and Language Therapy with Honours
- Certificate in Arts
- Diploma in Arts
- Diploma in Arts (Chinese)
- Diploma in Arts (French)
- Diploma in Arts (Japanese)
- Diploma in Arts (Linguistics)
- Diploma in Arts (Portuguese)
- Diploma in Arts (Spanish)
- Diploma in Arts (Te Reo Māori)
- Graduate Certificate in Arts (Chinese)
- Graduate Certificate in Arts (Japanese)
- Graduate Certificate in Arts (Linguistics)
- Graduate Certificate in Arts (Spanish)
- Graduate Diploma in Arts
- Graduate Diploma in Arts (Chinese)
- Graduate Diploma in Arts (Japanese)
- Graduate Diploma in Arts (Linguistics)
- Graduate Diploma in Arts (Spanish)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) (Spanish)
- Master of Applied Linguistics
- Master of Applied Linguistics (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Master of Arts (Spanish)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Linguistics
- Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Linguistics
From heritage languages to online language learning, our research is diverse in form and approach.
Study languages at Massey
Explore languages through a Bachelor of Arts. BA majors are available in Chinese, Japanese or Spanish. BA minors are available in Chinese, French, Japanese, Portuguese or te reo Māori.
Explore languages through a Bachelor of Communication. You can take a BC minor in international languages.
Careers in languages and linguistics
Whether you want to improve your English for work or study, become professionally qualified as a speech language therapist, or have a career that will take you overseas, languages and linguistics at Massey can get you there.
English for Academic Purposes
If you’re already enrolled in a Massey programme, you can take English for Academic Purposes courses. They bridge the gap between the English entry requirements for enrolment and the challenging new ways you’ll need to use English at university.
Meet our graduates
My study experience was amazing.Christine Feuillade
Bachelor of Arts (Spanish, Minor in French)
I ended up with my dream job working with adults who have speech, language or swallowing difficulties mainly as a result of brain injury.Karen Sturge
Bachelor of Speech and Language Therapy
I have found the skills I learnt from the degree to be hugely valuable across the different fields I have found myself in.Rebecca Forrest
Bachelor of Communication (Linguistics)
Student exchange programmes
Massey has exchange agreements with 200 institutions around the world where you can study for one or two semesters. Credits gained count towards your Massey degree. You can also apply for a Student Exchange Study Award to help with the cost of travelling and studying overseas.
French language assistantships
French language assistant positions are available for New Zealanders in France and New Caledonia. You will help French students improve their confidence in spoken English with interactive and recreational activities.
French summer school
The Université de la Nouvelle-Calédonie offers an opportunity for students to improve their French language skills on a three-week summer school in November/December. Students study French and New Caledonian culture, history, biodiversity and politics.
Not available in Semester 2, 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic and related travel restrictions. As a Massey student you may be able to spend some time studying at a university overseas which will still count towards your degree. We have world-class partner universities in Europe, North America, South America, Africa, Asia and Australia.
Departments and staff
Find out more about the departments and staff involved in languages and linguistics at Massey.
Speech Language Therapy Clinic
Our clinic at Massey University’s Auckland campus provides services for communication and swallowing disorders in children and adults. Student clinicians assess and treat clients under the supervision of highly qualified and experienced clinical staff.