Our Wellington and Manawatū campuses are open, Auckland remains closed at AL3. More information.
- Bachelor of Health Science
- Bachelor of Health Science (Integrated Human Health)
- Bachelor of Science (Ecology)
- Bachelor of Science (Ecology and Sustainability)
- Bachelor of Science (Integrative Biology)
- Bachelor of Science (Microbiology)
- Bachelor of Science (Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry)
- Bachelor of Science (Molecular and Cellular Biology)
- Bachelor of Science (Physiology)
- Bachelor of Science (Zoology)
- Certificate in Science and Technology
- Diploma in Science and Technology
- Graduate Certificate in Science and Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Science and Technology
- Master of Health Science
- Master of Health Science (Bioscience)
- Master of Health Science (Medical Laboratory Research)
- Master of Science (Biological Sciences)
- Master of Science (Ecology)
- Master of Science (Physiology)
- Master of Science (Zoology)
- Master of Veterinary Studies (Epidemiology)
- Master of Veterinary Studies (Veterinary Public Health)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Science (Bioscience)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Science (Medical Laboratory Science)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Science and Technology (Biological Sciences)
We do research in a range of areas within the biological sciences including genetics and genomics, microbiology and the biological basis of disease.
Meet our graduates
Massey provided me with a very strong foundation in genetics and introductory research skills that allowed me to hit the ground running.Anežka Hoskin
Bachelor of Science (Genetics) (now Bachelor of Science (Molecular and Cellular Biology), with a minor in Psychology
The degree gave me the flexibility to follow my environmental and agricultural interests and the cross-discipline teaching approach taught me about systems.Charlotte Robertson
Bachelor of Natural Sciences (similar degree: Bachelor of Science (Integrative Biology))
My supervisor, Professor Stowell, was brilliant throughout my PhD. She gave me all the support I needed and helped me find solutions for the various problems we ran into during my time at Massey. She had an open door policy and I was always able to discuss issues when needed.Cornelia Roesl
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Edinburgh
Studying these subjects (Physiology and Human Nutrition) has given me the opportunity to meet and be taught by some of the most inspiring and intelligent people I have ever (and possibly will ever) meet. The teaching staff on the Palmerston North campus are wonderful and caring.Katie Schraders
Doctor of Philosophy
Completing my studies in plant science has opened up a wealth of opportunities, both in New Zealand and abroad.Rowan Dickson
Bachelor of Science (Plant Science and Genetics)
I enjoy working in health sciences because it is multidisciplinary field, which deals with human and animal health.Saima Rizwan
Doctor of Philosophy
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Massey and feel it provided the necessary basis to enter the workforce in my chosen field.Shanna Hickling
Bachelor of Science (Microbiology) (Genetics)
My studies have taught me that you don’t need to be a veterinarian to help animals; Physiology is a broad degree with many possible routes which all have a focus on improving the health of humans and animals.Sophia Holdsworth
Bachelor of Science (Physiology)
QS Ranking - Biological Sciences
Massey University is ranked by QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) as one of the top 400 universities in the world for biological sciences.
Animal Genetic Services
Massey University’s Equine Parentage and Animal Genetics Services Centre offers the most comprehensive range of DNA-based genetic testing for animals in New Zealand.
Manawatū Microscopy and Imaging Centre
The MMIC facility is available for use by organisations such as researchers, Crown Research Institutes, other teaching institutions, hospitals and commercial clients. We offer transmitted light and fluorescence microscopy, electron microscopy and image analysis and have a professional team of specialists to help you with your microscopy needs.
Massey Genome Service
Massey Genome Service provides DNA & RNA sequencing services to New Zealand researchers and students.
Specialists at Massey University's Nutrition Laboratory provide consultancy for your food business, including nutritional testing of food products including for shelf life, food safety and product formulation.